The weather conditions on Port Philip Bay can vary considerably during the day. Working on the islands can be very hot and sunburn/ heat stroke can be a problem. Alternatively it can get very cold and wet.
The following list is a guide to the equipment and clothing you should take on every boat trip considering the trips generally start at 9:40am and conclude around 4:30 pm.
- Wear layers of clothing that will enable you to either remove or add clothing to ensure comfort in both hot and cold weather. eg. long trousers, long sleeve collared shirt & tee shirt.
- small towel (optional but good for wet boat trips)
- wind & water proof coat (ESSENTIAL)
- solid footwear or work boots (ESSENTIAL)
- sun hat with wide brim
- warm jumper (preferably woolen)
- bathers/shorts regardless of the weather for wadding from the boat to shore and/or swimming
- small back pack to carry personal equipment
- Sun protection cream (SPF30+ )
We suggest you take enough personal food and beverages to see you through this period (Morning tea, Lunch & Afternoon tea).
On hot days each person should take at least two litres of cold water/cordial.
On cold days a thermos of a hot drink is wonderful. (Don't forget your mug!)